Sunday, July 2, 2017

Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror

Imagine if we didn’t have mirrors, reflections, or photography. We would never be able to fully prepare our appearance in the morning while getting ready for the day, we wouldn’t be able to “freshen up” at the intermission of the annual Nutcracker Christmas play with your spouse, and we most certainly wouldn’t be able to put on our best appearance prior to a job interview. How hopeless would that be! In the first chapter of James, the word of God is likened to a mirror. 

Check it out:
James 1:23-25Amplified Bible (AMP)
23 For if anyone only listens to the Word without obeying it and being a doer of it, he is like a man who looks carefully at his [own] natural face in a mirror;
24 For he thoughtfully observes himself, and then goes off and promptly forgets what he was like.
25 But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience).


Back to our mirror analogies. I love the word of God, because just like a mirror, I am able to “look into the word” and see that metaphorical booger on my face and wipe it off. Isn’t it gross when someone has a frown on their face and is in such a bad mood that it affects those around them (that’s been me too many times)? Well, the Word allows me to see it, and allow God to fix it! When I’m finding myself to be more judgmental than compassionate, the Word (mirror) allows me to see that flaw and address it! I think this is a powerful concept because looking into the word essentially allows us to see our lives through God’s eyes! The potential therefore becomes limitless!!!

If I only looked into a mirror on Sunday’s, boy would my visual appearance need a lot of work. In the same way, the more I look into the Word, the more attractive I will be as God is doing continual works in me.


My prayer for today is not just for our readers to be spending more time in the Word. It is more about the realization of what the Word can do as we seek God to reveal the wonderful opportunities that come only as a result of looking into the mirror of the Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment