Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Secret to Successful Living

A Secret to Successful Living

Successful living is such a relative term, isn’t it? Success to you may not be success to me or someone else. We all have a picture of success, at least the fruit or result of success, but how much consideration are you willing to give to the process of success? 

I recently moved into a house with a wood burning fireplace. The concept of a wood burning fireplace is simple and brainless:  start a fire, burn the wood. But I’ve come to learn there are a lot of tips and hidden gems of wisdom to the success of enjoying the fireplace to it’s fullest potential. I came into contact with someone who cuts timber for a living and sells firewood on the side. After purchasing a couple of ricks of wood from him, I began to ask questions, lots of them. 

To any old Joe with a fireplace, my questions would be considered elementary and embarrassing. I felt like a little boy without an education when I asked the questions, but what I came to realize is that he had some tips I’ve never heard before on the process of burning well, and knowledge of different types of wood when burning. I felt dumb asking, but I felt empowered after he answered

If I didn’t ask, I’d be responsible to learn by trial and error, or by working and researching the issues myself. If I didn’t ask, it could be years or even decades before I assume the same level of wisdom and knowledge that I received in only a effortless moment as when I asked.

Isn’t it the same in our approach with God and His word? Each time we go to church or open the Bible, we can choose to approach the Word with an attitude of knowing it all, or we can come with a heart that is open (inquisitive of the Word, ready to be instructed and corrected by the Word). When you come with a heart that is open, you have the opportunity to uncover the hidden gems of wisdom that will be yours to keep and apply to the areas of your life that God knows you need answers

I believe this is the key to successful living: an approach to God with an open heart. We must be willing to un-learn anything we’ve heard before. We must be willing to allow our toes to be stepped on. We must be willing to look into the deepest parts of our lives, especially the ones that would be hard to allow to be changed. 

We must be willing to ask questions, even if it could reveal a lack of knowledge or understanding of the Bible. When we do, there will be an open channel of wisdom, allowing us to live successfully!
Proverbs 2:1-8
1-5 Good friend, take to heart what I’m telling you;
    collect my counsels and guard them with your life.
Tune your ears to the world of Wisdom;
    set your heart on a life of Understanding.
That’s right—if you make Insight your priority,
    and won’t take no for an answer,
Searching for it like a prospector panning for gold,
    like an adventurer on a treasure hunt,
Believe me, before you know it Fear-of-God will be yours;
    you’ll have come upon the Knowledge of God.

6-8 And here’s why: God gives out Wisdom free,
    is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding.
He’s a rich mine of Common Sense for those who live well,
    a personal bodyguard to the candid and sincere.
He keeps his eye on all who live honestly,
    and pays special attention to his loyally committed ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment