Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Turn from Indifference

Turn from Indifference
During our last Night of Worship on Wednesday night, I was standing closer to the back during praise and worship.  This was a different viewpoint than what I’m normally used to, and I was surprised to see a countenance of indifference across many faces.  I began to think how could we be in a place where God was and be/feel so indifferent to what’s actually going on.  I didn’t get too far down this rabbit tail before I knew the Holy Spirit was showing me that was the very state I was in.

I think we would all like to think that we’re never indifferent when it comes to the things of God, but our words, actions, and thoughts give us away.  I even found my thoughts wondering during that time in praise and worship and it made me think even harder about what has caused my indifference.   Unfortunately, there are a bevy of options in our everyday lives that have the potential to distract us and pull us off course just a hair.  When we don’t handle these distractions when they come up, then we’ll find ourselves dedicating more and more time to them with each passing day.  What’s more than that, if we don’t place an emphasis on spending time in God’s word and talking to Him each day, then distractions start to drown out the voice of our Help.  Eventually, instead of living to please God in all that we do, we find ourselves straddling the fence and are now on a path of indifference.  There is a verse in Revelation chapter three that speaks of this:

15 “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! 17 You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. 18 So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. 19 I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

This passage makes it clear that it’s better to just be hot or cold then completely indifferent and straddling the fence.  If we’re honest with ourselves then I think we would agree as times of indifference in our lives are never fun or fruitful.  I want to encourage you today as Jesus did the church of Laodicea.  Be diligent and turn from your indifference.  God has been too good to me for me to ever act so flippantly about anything in my life concerning Him.  I purpose to be diligent in handling God’s word and communing with Him every day as my act of turning from this indifference in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment