Sunday, January 29, 2017

Psalm 40



One of my favorite worship songs is taken directly from Psalms 40:1-3 (KJV).

I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

This passage of scripture is a great reminder of what God has done for us.

Living in Arkansas - I am familiar with ‘miry clay’. I can recall having to dig up a sewer line (more than once) which was surrounded with clay. It was so difficult to work in. The more you are in it, the more it sticks to your shoes, and it becomes a great burden. The psalmist tells us that God has lifted us out of this burden and put our feet upon a rock - a sure foundation.

Verse 3 tells us that he puts a new song in our mouths, and many will see this and put their trust in the Lord. This reminds me of a friend that I used to work with that was far away from God. He abused drugs regularly and was always in trouble. One day he came into work, and I could visibly see that he was changed. He had a genuine light in his eyes, and he told me that he had given his life to the Lord that weekend. From that moment on, he lived completely different than he had previously. God had given him a 'new song, even praise to our God!’

When people see a 'new song’ in someone (especially if they know how bad the 'old song’ was) they take note and are in awe of God’s work. This 'new song’ causes them to put their trust in the Lord! Take some time today to think about what God has done for you and give Him the praise He deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment