Saturday, January 14, 2017

Death by Comparison

There are people that hunt and fish frequently, and I am not one of them. I’ve been hunting a few times, and even killed a few deer. I’ve shot crows and squirrels with a .22 rifle. It’s a lot of fun, but I don’t enjoy it enough to do it with regularity. 

I refer to myself as a social hunter, except for mice. If there’s a sign of a mouse in my garage, he won’t stand a stinkin’ chance. I find the best bait (peanut butter, obviously) set the trap in all the right (deceitful) spots, and make sure there are traps at every corner of the garage. Only minutes after turning out the lights and going inside the house, I hear the SMACKKK!!!! Followed by the “ehh”, and a final “squeak” from the snout of my victim. 

The not so funny thing about this is how similar my approach to trapping a mouse is how enemy is in trapping us! He uses people, circumstances, and deceit to lure us in and trap us. One of his most commonly used traps is comparison. Comparison usually results in one of two things: pride or insecurity. 

It never fails, you will go to work and see that colleague who seems to be better at their job than you. Or what about that mom who seems to have it all together with the stylish clothes, kids, and home? How about that family that seems to have a never ending supply of money, always going on vacations and buying new toys? Or even worse, the lie that the gifts God has placed inside of you aren’t as good or as valuable as the person you see in your social media feeds. 

God created only one me (insert YOUR name here). When I begin to compare myself to someone else, I am acting as a thief, essentially stealing from God! How? By not fulfilling the plan he has prepared for me, and instead looking at the gifts he’s put inside of someone else instead of what’s he’s put in me! 

He has plans that are specifically prepared for me to execute. Don’t get hung up on the lie that what is inside of you isn’t as good as what’s inside of someone else. Instead, develop the gifts inside of you, let them be perfected. If you’re not sure of the gifts or talents you have, ask God to begin to show you. While you’re waiting, start serving! 

Serving gets your focus off of yourself, and onto others. In this process he will begin to show you those things he’s put inside of you. When you catch a glimpse of those gifts, start using them for God’s benefit. This is how they will be developed and perfected. 

Just as a diamond doesn’t start out beautiful, neither do the gifts and talents placed in you. Use them fervently, unapologetically, and intentionally to see God’s name be lifted high. 

Then step back and admire what God has done through your life. He has created you to do specific things in this life, are you going to accept the challenge to develop the gifts and use them for his benefit? 

1 Corinthians 12:4-7   4 Now there are distinctive varieties and distributions of endowments (gifts, [a]extraordinary powers distinguishing certain Christians, due to the power of divine grace operating in their souls by the Holy Spirit) and they vary, but the [Holy] Spirit remains the same.
5 And there are distinctive varieties of service and ministration, but it is the same Lord [Who is served].

6 And there are distinctive varieties of operation [of working to accomplish things], but it is the same God Who inspires and energizes them all in all.


7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the [Holy] Spirit [the evidence, the spiritual illumination of the Spirit] for good and profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment