Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The Path

The Path


I remember a time when I was in junior high, and some friends and I were out after dark roaming the neighborhood streets.  I really should have been home, but I totally blame my parents because they didn’t strap me down when the sun went below the horizon.  We were walking around with flashlights, minding our own business, when this gorilla of a high school kid saw us and became really upset that we were out shining lights in his territory.  He suddenly started yelling at us and chasing us.  We scattered so fast with our flashlights in hand, we all probably looked like one of those fireworks that mimics bees bursting out of a hive.  I remember running as hard as I could, and I could hear the big gorilla coming up on my tail.  I shut off my flashlight and jumped off into the woods and headed for a trail that I knew would lead me back around the neighborhood without having to get back on the road.  The gorilla didn’t know about this trail, and so I was able to escape.  If I had not known about this trail, this story might have ended differently, and you probably wouldn’t be reading this now.

Ephesians 2:10 (AMP) reads:

For we are God’s [own] handiwork (His workmanship), [d]recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live].
There was a path in the woods that was prepared ahead of time.  I knew about this path because my friends and I had wondered back there before and rode our bikes on it many times.  Once I knew I was safe, I was able to turn my light back on and walk safely down the path to get home to safety.

This verse tells us that God has a path which He has prepared ahead of time.  God has a path that He wants you to take.  Many times we are trying to cut our own path though instead of taking the path that He has already prepared.  Put down your dull machete and pick up your flashlight.

Psalm 119:105

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

His Word can illuminate the path that He has for us.  Spend some time meditating on His Word and get light and direction in your life today.  If you aren’t sure where to start, read Ephesians 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment