Saturday, June 24, 2017

Being Superman

Being Superman


In this digital age we live in, we are constantly barraged with images and stories that would try to affect our minds and make us think fearful thoughts.  It can be really easy to let these thoughts overtake you and get you off the course that God has for you.

The book of Acts is such an encouraging book full of stories of the things God did through his disciples.  When I was once dealing with fearful thoughts, God reminded me of the story of Paul and the word that God gave Paul.

Acts 23:11 (NIV) 11 The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.”
Immediately after this word came to Paul, another word came to Paul from his nephew that there was a plot to take his life.  This always seems to happen.  When God gives you a word the enemy comes immediately to try to get you to believe opposite of what God told you.  It was true - there was a plot to kill Paul.  But God’s word always trumps any other word!

After escaping this attempt on his life, he was caught in a horrible storm while aboard a ship with 275 other men (276 men on a single boat sounds bad enough to me, but I digress).  Everyone feared for their life, but God brought back the word that he had spoken to Paul.

Acts 27:23-25 (NIV) 23 Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me 24 and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ 25 So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.
The word of God to Paul brought him great courage!  He knew nothing could happen to him because he had been given a word from God that had not yet been fulfilled!  This charged him and made him feel impervious to anything that the enemy would try to fling at him!

After they shipwrecked on an unknown island, another attack came to Paul.  While gathering wood for the fire, a poisonous snake bit him on the hand.  But because he felt like Superman at this point, he just shook that thing off and sat back down by the fire for another s’mores!  The people of the island expected him to die.  These were the people that lived there and had probably seen other people die from the same snake bite.  When nothing ever happened, they all thought he was a god.  Paul knew he wasn’t going to die from that snake bite.  Why?  Because he had not yet stood before Caesar at Rome.  He had a word from God.

When fearful thoughts try to come against me, I remind myself of words that God has spoken to me.  Words that I’ve not yet seen fulfilled.  Then I put my Superman cape back on and fly out the door.  [I’m kidding about the Superman cape and flying]


Remember words God has spoken to you in the past.  Write them down so you’ll not forget.  If you don’t have anything - ask God to speak to you.  Ask him about your future, and listen to what He has to say.  It will change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment