Friday, June 16, 2017

Swing That Sword

Swing That Sword

Competition is a beautiful thing: Two or more opposing units of something or someone attempting to achieve the same or a similar goal (my definition). A lot of people think they are not very competitive, and while I agree there are degrees of “competitive-natured” people, I truly believe everyone is competitive. In order to sustain life, you have to be competitive. If you get the seasonal flu, is a non-competitive person going to say to the flu: “you go ahead and beat me. I’d rather let you take my life then me keep it”. How about all the parents out there, with a child involved in an activity that their child cares about and enjoys doing (art, music, sports), does the parent like to see them fail at the task? I know not a single one. We are all competitive when it comes to accomplishing our purpose.

When my oldest son was playing football, I really enjoyed the games, mainly because our team has won every game we’ve played, and because he’s having fun. Now that we’ve won a bunch, and haven’t been scored on, that seems to be the latest goal: don’t let anyone score any points on us.
Here lately, I’ve been thinking about being more offensive, more competitive in my spirituality. Ephesians 6:12 says we are not in a physical battle in this life, but in spiritual battles.

That nagging negativity that tries to invade my mind sometimes, or the thought of taking offense to my friends or peers over something they did or said is an opportunity to win with the Word of God. It’s an opportunity to pull out my sword, and go to town on whoopin up on my enemies. What is my primary weapon to win?

Hebrews 4:12: For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I like how the Word is equated to a sword here. It gives me a great visual of what I’m using to win, when I SPEAK the Word. It’s time to sharpen the Sword, and open a can. When I speak the Word of God, I’m swinging the sword. The more I get the Word in me, the more I will be ready to swing that puppy at every opportunity. It’s time to blaze a trail. It’s time to speak the Word and CHARGE!!

P.S. Feel free to interject light saber wherever you see sword. It will have the same effect. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment