Thursday, June 15, 2017

A Psalm Written by You

A Psalm Written by You

Why do we sometimes insist on acting religious when we pray? Why do we sometimes avoid prayer when we feel sad, depressed, or just plain in a crumby mood? Have you ever sat down to have dinner with your family, and the person that was asked to bless the meal was not in a good mood? Well, I have, and it happens from time to time in my home.

The unfortunate result is either a decline to pray, or a prayer that is brief and lacking in emotion. Why do we feel obligated to “clean up our act” before we come to God in prayer? I was reading through a few chapters in the book of Psalms and it jumped out at me: God wants my prayers, and He wants them to be authentic. By definition, a Psalm is a song or hymn or prayer.

If you read through the first several chapters of Psalms, you will quickly get a glimpse into the heart of David (who authored most of the Psalms in the Bible) and other authors. He said things such as “why do you stand far off, o God?” and “save me from all those who persecute me” and “I am weary with my groaning…”. These are words of authenticity that came straight from his heart.

The only way that we can truly be heard by a friend or family member, is when we commit to be honest and authentic with them. God is the same way, He yearns for us to come to Him with words of authenticity! Let’s get rid of our self-created obligation to “clean up our act” before praying a real prayer from the heart. God wants to hear your heart right now, not later.

What are you frustrated about? What pressures and challenges are you facing today? Who is getting on your nerves? How do you feel about the crumby decision you made? What are you dreading? What are you anticipating? Let God know about it! Let’s allow the word of God to be our example of authentic prayers.

Take time today to be real with God, with where you are at right now, and invite Him to go to work in your life like only He can. When we come to God with honest words from our heart, and give him our heart, he has something to work with. If we come to Him with lip-service and artificial prayers, what can He do?

So I ask you today, what is your Psalm, (or your heartfelt prayer to God today)?

Psalm 18:6 But in my distress I cried out to the Lord;
    yes, I prayed to my God for help.
He heard me from his sanctuary;

    my cry to him reached his ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment