Monday, February 20, 2017

What Are You Thinking


Have you ever been so deep in the middle of your problem that you find yourself getting lost in your thoughts? I love the story of the woman with the issue of blood.

  “She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse.  When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the  crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, "if I touch his clothes, I will be healed”.  Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.  Mark 5:26-28 (NIV)

BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT… if I touch his clothes, I will be healed.  The woman described in the above verses had been bleeding for twelve years.  She had tried everything but nothing seemed to be able to help her, and all the time her condition kept growing worse. She was broken mentally, physically, and financially.  Can you imagine???  

As I think back almost a year ago when I received the report from my doctor that my back was going to need surgery, I’m reminded of the fear and the excruciating pain that I felt every night for almost two weeks.  I would be up all night because it was too uncomfortable to sleep and I was constantly focused on how bad I was hurting.  Each night though, as I laid awake and prayed, the Holy Spirit would remind me of this woman in Mark 5.

The Bible says that when she heard about Jesus coming “SHE THOUGHT”, I have to get to Him because He can help me.  This shows me that this probably wasn’t the first time she had thought about Jesus.  She saw Him as the “ONLY” way to her healing.  No one else had been able to help her.  She had heard about all the times Jesus had healed others and knew that if He did it for them that He could do it for her.  In her desperation she wanted to get to Him, whatever it took!

I could relate to this woman in Mark 5.  Faced with my own personal suffering, every night as I laid awake, her story reminded me to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, keep my thoughts centered on Him as my Healer.  The Lord was reminding me  of this woman’s great faith and how she didn’t let anything stop her from receiving her healing that day. From this, I was able to walk each day with the assurance that my back was going to be healed. I grabbed a hold of His promise and was not letting go. It’s faith in Jesus and His power to heal that makes us whole.  Jesus said to her, “Daughter, your faith (your trust and confidence in Me) has healed you.  Go in peace and be continually freed from your suffering.”

Are your thoughts on Him?  Whatever it is your needing today, I encourage you to stay focused on Jesus.   Have faith in Him, He is everything you need.  


No comments:

Post a Comment