Thursday, February 2, 2017

Looking in all the Wrong Places

Have you ever played hide and go seek?  Earlier this evening I got wrapped up in a nice long game of hide and seek with my oldest boy.  He counts and I hide.  Then I count and He hides!  This goes on and on and on until I am practically hiding in the same spots twice!  I have found myself climbing countertops in our bathroom all the way to sitting on washers and dryers.  Behind furniture, in closets, and under blankets.  Usually by the time Colton finds me, I am roasting hot and uncomfortable because I have been cooped up in a small space and ready to get out!!  Out of all the different places I could be, I am only in one.  Colton can check here and there but He won’t find me until He looks where I am.  Let’s have a look at Luke 24:1-5 NLT.

But very early on Sunday morning, the women went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. 2 They found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. 3 So they went in, but they didn’t find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 As they stood there puzzled, two men suddenly appeared to them, clothed in dazzling robes.
5 The women were terrified and bowed with their faces to the ground. Then the men asked, “Why are you looking among the dead for someone who is alive?

The question I would like to pose is the same question that these angels asked these ladies.  "Why are you looking among the dead for someone who is alive?“

I can’t begin to tell you how many times I have lived this scenario.  Trying to find life and satisfaction from someone or something other than Life Himself.  Jesus.  As people, we often times busy ourselves with things that produce 0% life and we wonder why our lives seem empty! Its because we are looking in the wrong place.  Life is there…His name is Jesus…and we must find Him and make knowing Him, and making Him known,  our aim in this life.  Truth be told, we don’t find life by looking in that which is dead.  We find life when we focus our attention on that which is alive.

Jesus made statements like I am the way, the truth, and the Life. John 14:6

The word of God is Alive and full of power. Hebrews 4:12

And you He made alive, who were dead in your trespasses and sin. Ephesians 2:1

Bottom line is this.  If the life we are living seems to be dead, take a look at where your attention is focused.  Whether you have been in 20 different relationships, drowning in debt, or depressed out of your mind, it all goes back to what our eyes are focussed on.  Lets stop looking to the dead to try and find life and start looking to the One who is life.  His name is Jesus.  He authors life abundantly and when we get our eyes on Him, we are sure to experience the life we have been searching for.

No comments:

Post a Comment