Saturday, August 12, 2017

This Joy That I Have

This Joy That I Have

When I was a kid we use to sing this song in children’s church.  You may have sung it as well.  It goes something like this (sing it with me), “This joy that I have, the world didn’t give it to me, the world didn’t give it, and the world can’t take it away!”  That part of the song has stuck with me! 

Have you ever had thoughts like:  Joy? What joy? I have no joy right now.  I might have joy if I could just catch a break. If I could just get caught up on my mortgage instead of always being 60 to 90 days late….then. If my family and my relationships were, well, just better…..then. If I could just get a better job……then. If I didn’t have these health problems……then.
I can’t tell you how many times those thoughts have come to me, and how many times something like those words have come out of my mouth.

Romans 12:2 tells us to not be conformed to this world and its way of thinking, but to be transformed by renewing our minds. This means we are to take what God says and throw away what the world says.  This world says that when all the conditions are just right, then we will be happy, satisfied, fulfilled and full of joy, however, in all my experience and I’m sure yours is the same, joy continues to elude us.  Just when we think we have it in our hands, somehow it slips through and we are off running after it again. 

If we could just remember this song!  Better yet we could sing it like this, “The world doesn’t have it, so the world can’t give it, therefore the world can’t take it away!”  But if the world doesn’t have it and doesn’t give it, then where can I get it?
Psalm 16:11(esv) You make known to me the path of life; in your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

We see that the fullness of joy is found in the Presence of God, which very simply means that in God’s Presence flows joy.  Today, come position yourself in the Presence of God and let the flow of joy fill you to overflowing.  Let it reach your deepest parts.  

Begin by thanking God for the finished work of Jesus on the cross, which makes you clean and enables you to come into His Presence.  Put on your favorite worship song and press repeat.  Stay there and let God fill you to overflowing with His joy.  You will be glad you did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment